Saturday, September 7, 2013

Live, Nude, Woman or Why I Work As A Life Model

Drawing by Joy Thomas 2013


Yes, I wrote "Live Nude Woman" in the title. I work as a life model for drawing and painting classes. The human body is a beautiful creation and I am not ashamed of my form. It has changed since I began in the early 90s, but that is part of the aging process. I started off as a drawing student in college. I needed to make extra money for art supplies and one of my teachers suggested I give it a try. For some reason I had no problem getting up there and allowing others to draw me without clothes. Back in the day I made $4.25 an hour and it had a certain flexibility with my class schedule that most jobs didn't. Many people including some of my family told me not to tell anyone that I did this to make a living in school. Why should I feel shame or embarrassment because of this kind  of work. Actually I feel empowered by posing for classes. Society sends messeges to woman that they need to achieve perfection and try to make women feel less than when they don't.  I have to say there is so much beauty in the imperfect form and a certain quiet strength needed to get past the crap! I am very good at what I do and proudly have it on my resume. I am however, sick and tired of the shaming behavior by people outside of the arts. There was a time when I almost fell pray to that sort of repressed mentality. Luckily I was reminded that this is a respectable profession and my gift is to inspire artists in their creative aspirations. It also gave me a wonderful view of what the model really does for a class. I worked harder as an art student and as a model. Today I am still working as a life model and making more money than when I started. It is still a great job to have, my body gets tired faster, but then again I am 20 plus years older.now. The students don't seem to mind drawing me and have thanked me for being so professional. I also model for an older group of artists at the Murray Art Guild. They are so kind and supportive of all the models there. I really enjoy my time with them to. I am a feminist and do not consider this type of work degrading or objectifying. The body in all forms is beautiful and has a right to be celebrated! There is no shame in being a life model. 

Cheers,
Stacy Frett
Artist, Photographer, and Life Model

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.